Friday, July 2, 2010

London the day of awesome and not awesome things!

Yesterday was a very interesting day. It started out with me walking up and stumbling out of bed deciding what I wanted to do that day. After about a half hour of planning I decided to gi and check out a BigBus tour near Westminster bridge. I wandered there on foot from my place near Waterloo through some cute areas faking pictures and arrived there near noon. After a nice informative ride for a few minutes I stopped off at an attraction called The London Dungeon.

The attraction was a bit pricey around 20 pounds. But other then that annoyance was a lot of fun, very scary and informative. They talked about the bloodier history of London, including Sweeney Todd, the affect of the black plague, queen Mary, Jack the Ripper and a few other facts where picked up along the way.

While wandering in the first area I ran into a lively lady from Poland who was also traveling alone. We buddied up to keep each other company and then after the ride was over wandered through Jubilee Marketplace and into a local church.

In the marketplace Magdalena and I picked up some juice from a juice bar. You could opt to have shots of barley grass added to it, which I thought was weird, but also very fascinating. I got a kind if juice called a Zinger, it was fruit mixed with ginget root and barley grass. I actually really enjoyed it.

In the church I took a picture and was immediately grouched at by the gut running the place. Apparently I had to pay two pounds to take any photos, which I thought was ridiculous. Magdalena and I wandered inti the back area and in the floor littered about were a number of graves of different people. It felt strange and a little disrespectful to walk over them. In the sane church there wad a nook where a statue of William Shakespeare lounging on his side. The text read that I think he'd lived and worshipped at that church. In his right flhand which was closed into a loose fist were three fresh sticks if Rosemary, which I thought was a fitting and touching devotion to him.

Next Magdalena and I headed towards The Tower of London. But didn't get there in time to go in, so we headed to a small local shop and consumed sone fish and chips and a beer.

Her niece, Anya, who lives in London joined us as well, and above woman named Donna also joined us. Magnalena, Donna and I all had something in common, we are women traveling alone here. It wad wonderful to sit, chat and enjoy their company for an hour or two.

I returned back to my hostel though to find that the bed was changed and the things u had left on the bed itself wre gone! I ran downstairs in near panic to find that the booking system in the computer gas hiccuped and they apparently thought I had left. The cleaning guy had moved some of my stuff downstairs, thankfully, but my toiletry kit, towel and a few other bits and pieces were gone... I stayed positive though, laughing at the irony after having a period of time where I felt awful that this had happe
Ed after inly three days here. Luckily today I will head to a shop on Russels square to replace what was lost, I assumed thrown out.

I had a nice time talking with my hostel mates downstairs in the pub, laughing and talking about our experiences so far and our lives.

Today will be another fun adventure for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment